School suffers from paper shortage

David Liu

Junior Gustavo Solari-Neumann attempts to print in the Moran Library.

David Liu, Staff Writer

Students may see a large shift from paper worksheets to Microsoft Word or Google Doc documents in the coming week. 

Due to a supplier shortage and the global supply chain crisis, school printers are running very low on paper. 

“We’re working on finding more,” said Mr. Harlan Howe, technology coordinator, in an email on Oct. 20. “But in the meantime, please be mindful of what you print and how much you are printing.” 

Until the issue is resolved, Mr. Howe has asked students to refrain from printing for frivolous reasons and print only when absolutely necessary. In addition, he advised printing double-sided in all cases. 

Mr. Howe’s email has had an effect on faculty and students. 

“I’ll try to minimize my paper usage,” Ms. Leslie Lovett, history teacher, said. “And use Digi-exam more frequently for exams.”

I’ve just been more conscious of what I can just do online now that I know about the paper shortage,” freshman Alexander Miles said. 

The cause of this paper shortage, according to an article in the Seattle Times, is due to skyrocketing demand and broader supply-chain issues in the U.S. 

Part of this issue is also due to paper mills shifting their production away from paper in an increasingly digitized world.  

While paper was finally delivered to the Upper School five days after Mr.  Howe’s email, these issues with shortages or delays might persist into next year.