The Student News Site of The Kinkaid School

The Falcon

The Falcon

The Falcon

Follow us on Twitter!

Baccalaureate kicks off graduation festivities

Eshaan Mani
Seniors process across the stage of the Arena Theater during the baccalaureate ceremony.

Seniors beamed in their graduation regalia as they strode across the stage to “The Prince of Denmark’s March” on May 19 to kick off the baccalaureate ceremony. 

Baccalaureate, as Head of School Mr. Jonathan Eades explained, originated at Oxford University in 1432 as a religious ceremony where students would deliver sermons in Latin.

“Don’t worry seniors, we won’t ask you to do that today,” Mr. Eades said, to laughter from the audience. “Over time, the original focus on religion that marked the speeches at baccalaureate diminished or expanded to interfaith subjects. This service is highly symbolic as it marks both an ending and a new beginning for our soon-to-be graduates.”

Encore’s performance of “Omnia Sol” and a duet by seniors Ben Evans and Drew Adler followed Mr. Eades’ address. Then, the student speaker, senior Pierce Markowitz, was invited on stage. 

In his speech, Markowitz emphasized not taking oneself too seriously, learning from mistakes and being open to new opportunities.

“As we move forward into college, it’s important that we keep things in perspective,” he said.

Mr. Adam Holt, middle school English teacher and Kinkaid’s faculty poet laureate, read a poem at baccalaureate as well. 

After the historic storms the week prior, the ceremony was held on Kinkaid’s third day without power, Wi-Fi and air conditioning, so the ceremony was relocated to the Arena Theater.