The Student News Site of The Kinkaid School

The Falcon

The Falcon

The Falcon

Follow us on Twitter!

Congressman Wesley Hunt discusses politics and service with Falcons

Congressman Mr. Wesley Hunt stopped by Kinkaid on April 5 to talk to senior GovCo members about politics, their future, and his plans for the nation. 

Throughout his hour-long address, Mr. Hunt emphasized the values of service, unity, and authenticity in American politics, advocating for inclusivity, meritocracy and respectful discourse while sharing personal stories to encourage resilience and self-improvement.

“I hail from St. John’s just up the road. Houston is my home, and it is my solemn duty to leave my communities better than I found them and contribute to their advancement,” Mr. Hunt said. 

He said he frequently polls his 800,000-person district to gauge people’s opinions on topics on which Mr. Hunt would vote on in congress. 

“My role is not to impose my own views. I am entrusted to represent the perspectives of those who have bestowed upon me the privilege of serving in Congress,” Mr. Hunt said.

His service extends to pivotal roles on the House Judiciary Committee, House Natural Resources Committee and House Small Business Committee.

He expressed his goals to defend oil and gas in Congress as a majority of his district is in the energy corridor of Houston. 

However, he also sought to captivate his audience with stories. He shared personal anecdotes, including his experience of losing a congressional race and the following lessons about humility and perseverance. 

Mr. Hunt also gave advice and insightful wisdom to graduating Kinkaid students. 

“You are our future leaders, you are the ones that are going to keep the trains running when I am long gone,” he said. 

Furthermore, he encouraged high school students to avoid posting anything political or controversial on social media to protect future careers or job opportunities. 

He told students to develop their views and opinions fully by the time they are 40 years old, and that with maturity comes a deeper understanding of one’s beliefs.