The Student News Site of The Kinkaid School

The Falcon

The Falcon

The Falcon

Follow us on Twitter!

Choreography projects provide venue for exploration, community

David Shutts
Junior Bridget Gray and other dancers perform a complex, coordinated move during the choreography projects showcase.

As dancers walked onto the dark stage to take their places, audiences waited excitedly as upperclassmen choreographers held their breath in anticipation in the side wing.

The annual Choreography Projects, a unique event in which juniors and seniors take on the role of choreographers, took place on April 6 and 7. This event is a platform for Kinkaid’s talented dancers to showcase their creativity and artistic styles. The choreographers handpick every aspect of their dance.

“They give you total creative freedom with the movements, style, cast of dancers, lighting and costumes,” said junior and choreographer Sloane Thompson.

For many dance members, this is their first time choreographing a dance and being in a teaching position.

“Initially, I felt a lot of pressure, and I felt like I had to work hard to please them,” junior Bridget Gray said.

For Gray’s piece “Cosmic Love,” she embarked on a creative journey to depict the relationship between light and darkness. She cast junior Sloane Thompson to represent the light, showcasing the journey of the “happy and naive light” being overcome by darkness, portrayed by an ensemble of dancers. In a triumphant end, the light fights back and emerges free from the darkness.

Gray also starred in junior Reese McMullen’s choreographed duet.

“It was very fun because all of us are friends, and it was easy to help each other during the process,” she said. 

Student choreographers began choreographing their dances and finding inspiration during the summer. 

“It was many hours of being by myself in the studio after school and just going through trial and error,” said Thompson.

However, many of the choreographers continued to finalize their dances and make sure the choreography was clean and perfect.

“I ended up working all the way to February,” Gray said.

Choreo projects are always a big hit in the spring for the arts, and each show has a packed audience.

“It was really interesting and cool to see each of the choreographers’ specific styles showcased in their dances,” junior and audience member Ella Fox said.

Choreo projects are just as rewarding for the choreographers as it is for the audiences.

“My favorite part was definitely the community,” Thompson said, “I love that it bonded us together and I know everyone so well now.”