The Student News Site of The Kinkaid School

The Falcon

The Falcon

The Falcon

Follow us on Twitter!

Sophomore organizes first-ever KMS science fair

Beyli Shah
Shah (rightmost) stands with the winners of the Kinkaid Middle School science fair.

The Middle School hosted its first-ever science fair on Feb. 15, thanks to the efforts of sophomore Beyli Shah. 

Shah has always loved science fairs and participated in them while in elementary school.

When I came to Kinkaid in sixth grade, I wanted to do the science fair but they did not have one at the time,” Shah said. “So this year, I decided to start the science fair for the Middle School so other kids who liked science like me could get the chance to do the fair.”

After reaching out last fall to Middle School teachers Ms. Chaz Cleare and Ms. Heather Whitby, who run the Middle School STEM night, Beyli began to set up the science fair. 

“I created a flier, information packet, rubric and video to send out to all the middle schoolers who wanted to participate,” Shah said.

Participants all got free Falcon Fuel from Kinkaid’s cafeteria and winners received gift certificates to the Houston Museum of Natural Science. 

There have been many opportunities for experimenting and presenting research in high school and this science fair allowed middle schoolers to gain experience in doing so. 

“The reason I created the science fair was to give all middle schoolers a way to experiment and present their work before they got to high school,” Shah said.

“I was so surprised to see the amount of projects that signed up, especially since it’s the first year,” Shah said. “We had 20 or more projects and around 30 kids who participated.”

The science fair was months in the making. Shah and the Middle School teachers expressed excitement about how they can improve the event for next year. 

“I feel like it went better than I ever could have expected and I can’t wait for next year,”  Shah said.