The Student News Site of The Kinkaid School

The Falcon

The Falcon

The Falcon

Follow us on Twitter!

New Faces spotlights underclassmen talent with a side of tap dance

Payton Daly
Charles Denechaud and Z Ostrosky perform in this year’s New Faces showcase.

Clicking sounds filled the recital hall as freshmen and sophomores performed a tap routine on stage, part of a new twist that has been added to this year’s “New Faces” performance.

This year, dance teacher Mr. Aaron Girlinghouse took on the role of choreographer of New Faces, and he strived to add his own flair to the showcase. 

At the beginning of the rehearsal process, Mr. Girlinghouse led a crash course on tap dancing, a dance style he wanted to feature in this year’s performance. When teaching the students, he tried to focus on the sounds produced in tap and how that related to the music. 

Despite many actors not having experience with the dance form, the students worked to develop their tap skills and produced a fast-paced number.

“I think my favorite part about choreographing is the excitement from the students. That just feeds you,” Mr. Girlinghouse said. “It feeds your soul.” 

Another new addition to the dance scene of New Faces was a dance captain, sophomore Z Ostrosky. Ostrosky reached out to Mr. Girlinghouse and was given the opportunity to work alongside him in this role, even choreographing sections of dances. 

Despite the new additions to “New Faces” this year, the showcase retains its goal: to highlight underclassmen actors at Kinkaid and provide them a platform to show off their talents. 

“I just like seeing people being highlighted because a lot of times the musical doesn’t allow for everyone to be highlighted,” Ostrosky said.

The purpose of “New Faces” is not only to highlight talent but also to provide underclassmen with a sense of artistic community. 

“Camaraderie always develops between the cast, between the ensemble,” said Ms. K’Lynn Hocker, theater teacher and director of “New Faces.”