The Student News Site of The Kinkaid School

The Falcon

The Falcon

The Falcon

Follow us on Twitter!

Girls varsity field hockey shares passion with refugee students

@kinkaid_field_hockey
Junior and field hockey player Caroline Raynes does a warmup exercise with two refugee students.

The Kinkaid varsity field hockey team joined forces with Combined Arms to teach refugees how to play field hockey on Oct. 28. Refugee students of all ages entered Sanders Field, eager to learn more about the sport. 

Through various games and competitions, the teammates taught refugee students the basics of field hockey. They were taught how to pull the ball from left to right, how to make shots into a goal and pass the ball to their friends; some students even became a goalie for the day. 

“I loved seeing how happy the kids were and how open they were to try the sport, even though many had never played,” said junior Ella Ou.

For five hours, the players and students joined forces in the event, which was coordinated by senior varsity field hockey player Lauren Shu, who serves on the Community Service Council. Lauren also organized this event for the team last year as a Junior. 

“I came up with the idea to combine field hockey and community service because those are two things I am very passionate about,” said Shu.

Shu worked for two months to organize this event.

“The whole team knows that to coordinate an event like this, it takes a lot of work,” said junior Haley Alexander. “We all really appreciate the hard work and effort Lauren has put into this event.”

Following the event, Combined Arms provided everyone at the event with traditional Pakistani foods. 

“The event was so fun, and the food was also very good,” junior Caroline Swanson said.

Combined Arms is a non-profit organization that supports refugees through their transition to citizenship. Along with refugees, the organization works to support veterans with their shift from participating in war to living back at home.