The Student News Site of The Kinkaid School

The Falcon

The Falcon

The Falcon

Follow us on Twitter!

Student-run Instagram page explores diverse cuisines of Houston

@groveeatshckb
The Grove Eats team and their friends celebrate 100 followers with an immersive dining experience at the Rainforest Café.

A team of juniors is traversing the city to tell Falcons about the best places to eat.

Juniors Bennett Bowman, Haylie George, Kate Hyman and Chloe Childress created the food review Instagram account Grove Eats in February 2022.

“The purpose of the account is to introduce new restaurants to our friends and family,” Bowman said. “It is such a fun thing to do.”

The account began when the friends posted their food from BB’s Tex-Orleans restaurant. Some of their friends saw the pictures and claimed the food looked unappealing. The four friends decided to create the account to show people that food most people wouldn’t come across every day is surprisingly tasty. 

“It is a fun way to explore the community, spend time with friends, and try foods from other cultures,” Hyman said.

Grove Eats, which has 154 followers at the time of writing, frequently includes guest members in the group’s food excursions. Often, the creators add a fun dimension to their reviews with guests. 

“I really enjoyed going to Chile’s dressed in completely fancy black tie attire,” said junior Jordan Roberts, a common guest on Grove Eats. 

There have been many guests from across grade levels, including siblings.

Though the account has experienced some success, the reviewers have faced some difficulties. A review of one restaurant led to the team of juniors getting food poisoning. 

“It is a part of reviewing all types of restaurants,” Bowman said.

In the year and a half since the account’s founding, the friends have visited and reviewed over 75 restaurants around Houston.

“We wanted to find the most interesting place and use our reviews to broaden people’s horizons about food throughout Houston,” George said.  

One of the account’s biggest accomplishments was getting posted on Head of School Mr. Jonathan Eades’ Instagram story