The Student News Site of The Kinkaid School

The Falcon

The Falcon

The Falcon

Follow us on Twitter!

Baseball gears up for athletic season with unique pre-season workout

Matthew Berman
Junior Matthew Berman steals third base. (Photo from 2022-2023 season)

As the bell rang, players quickly gathered their baseball gear and headed to the baseball field. The excitement of achieving a conference-winning season fueled them as they stepped up to the plate.

Kinkaid’s baseball players gained a strategic edge over their rivals through pre-season preparations that kick off months ahead of the official practice. 

Although head baseball coach Mr. Steve Maas encouraged the players to attend the pre-season workouts, they were not mandatory. However, Kinkaid’s baseball players have extreme discipline and attended the workouts almost every day.

The pitching workout consisted of 60 partner warmup tosses before hitting the mound. After the warmup, players began pitching. 

Junior player Jack Paris improved so much by using a throwing workout that his velocity improved by eight miles per hour. 

“This workout helps me get better every day,” Paris said.

Their regimen involved a well-rounded schedule that included honing their pitching, batting and mental skills. It is tailored to comply with the rules set by the Southwest Preparatory Conference, which restricts coach-player interactions before the onset of the spring season.

Sophomore Matthew Guyton is renowned for his diligent practice regimen. 

“I believe that work ethic is the key to my success,” Guyton said. Despite his rigorous training in baseball, Guyton said his standout attribute is his speed. Interestingly, he doesn’t specifically train to enhance his running pace. 

“It’s natural,” he said. 

The workouts were not only designed for the varsity athletes. 

Junior varsity players have also been encouraged to attend the workouts to improve their mechanics. Last year, sophomore catcher Tanner Nyveen’s work ethic and constant attendance at the pre-season workouts earned him a position on the team as a freshman. 

“My hard work during pre-season last year taught me that people value hard work and it for sure pays off in the long run,” Nyveen said.

The team is set to begin regular practices on Jan. 21, 2024.