The Student News Site of The Kinkaid School

The Falcon

The Falcon

The Falcon

Follow us on Twitter!

Art history students recreate famous paintings around campus

Emerson Heath
Art history students dressed as Elmo and The Cookie Monster from Sesame Street pose in Ms. Chambers’ classroom.

Art history students used their class on Oct. 31 to run around the school in costumes to pose and recreate 50 famous works of art. 

“The running and joking around added to the excitement and fun,” said Mr. Liz Chambers, Upper School art history teacher.

The students were given a checklist of artwork that they had to achieve to get bonus points. The pieces on the list spanned religious art, classical art, photography and sculpture.. 

For one recreation, the students organized themselves at a table in the Dining Center on Halloween to recreate the famous painting, “The Last Supper,” by Leonardo da Vinci. 

Students also had the opportunity to include faculty members in their recreations.

“I was so excited that I got to recreate a painting with Mr. Eades,” said senior Meredeth Lobb. Mr. Jonathan Eades is Kinkaid’s head of school.

Another requirement the students had was to recreate a painting with every student in frame. This year, the class chose to include everyone in the famous “A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte” by Georges Seurat.

“I loved seeing everyone work together to pose in one of their favorite pieces,” Ms. Chambers said. 

Students were also excited about the costume aspect and went all out. Some examples of student costumes were  Elmo, the Cookie Monster; Harry Potter; and Rosie, the Riveter. 

“Every picture that Elmo and Cookie Monster were in just made me crack up laughing,” Ms. Chambers said.

This activity was a way for the students to show off their knowledge of art techniques throughout history.

“You can see the students realize they know so much about art, and they look so proud,” Ms. Chambers said.

This was also an opportunity for the students to learn about their peers’ artistic preferences.

“I think it’s really cool to see everyone’s interests come together and blend to create different recreations of pieces,” Lobb said.