Faceoff against St. John’s results in mixed emotions


David Shutts

Cacie Chatman (12) taking a shot mid-game.

Ethan Jett and Carter Pitts

In spite of the winter freeze, the basketball and soccer games scheduled against St. John’s went forward on Feb. 4. 

The girls’ basketball team went into the game with a record of 16-6 in the overall season and was 5-2 in the Southwest Preparatory Conference.

This was the second time they were matched up against St. John’s this season, with the first being in a tournament in which they suffered a two-point loss by a buzzer-beater. The team was eager to beat the Mavericks not only because of their loss earlier in the season but also because it was senior night. 

The Falcons were able to get off to a great start, going into halftime up 20-9 on the Mavericks. Going into the third quarter, the team looked to build upon its lead and put the game out of reach for the Mavericks. The third quarter ended 35-12 with the Falcons ahead. 

In the third quarter, the Falcons were able to extend their lead because of the performances of junior Sarah Xu, sophomore Madison Marshall  and seniors Cacie Chatman and Jazmyn Williams. The final score was 54-26.

The boys’ basketball team went into Friday’s game with loads of momentum and confidence after beating the Episcopal Knights the previous week. This was the first time they matched up against St. John’s this season and were expecting a close game against the Mavericks.

The team had a rough game but was led by freshman Eian Lowe, senior Ben Shaper and freshman Jack Paris. After the first half, it was clear that the Falcons underestimated the Mavericks’’ ability to score. 

“The game was hard to watch, but I enjoyed the Falcons’ fight,” said junior Alex Guillerman. 

The final score was 66-49 in favor of the Mavericks. 

The boys’ soccer team went into Friday night’s game with a 12-4 record in the overall season, and a 4-2 record in SPC. The boys felt good about their chances against St. John’s and hoped to continue their four-game winning streak. 

The Falcons jumped out to an early lead on a goal by junior Thomas Richard that made the score 1-0 Falcons. 

Richard’s goal was followed up by goals from sophomore Matthew Schafer and juniors Holden Peacock and Ethan Jett, making the score 4-0 with the Falcons in the lead. The Falcons were able to hold their lead, only giving up one goal and winning the rivalry game 4-1. 

“St. John’s fought hard, but we played great as a team, and through our teamwork, we were able to get the win,” said freshman Max Roeder.

The girls’ soccer team headed into the St. John’s game with an overall record of 8-4, and an SPC record of 4-4. 

The girls thought it was going to be a tough game to win, but they had high hopes heading into the game. 

The beginning of the game started off slow, as both teams played great defense making it very tough to score. However, St John’s struck first toward the end of the first half, making it 1-0. 

St John’s followed this up with another goal, stretching the lead to 2-0. The Falcons tried to fight back but unfortunately couldn’t score. They lost with a final score of 2-0.