After two year streak, football loses to Episcopal

Cooper Buck, Staff Writer

The usually rowdy Kinkaid student section fell silent Saturday night after the varsity football team’s loss to Episcopal. 

For the first time since 2014, Episcopal High School reigns on top of the SPC 4A football standings. Kinkaid has beat EHS in the championship for the past two years, 41-17 in 2018 and 38-21 in 2017. 

Saturday’s 42-21 loss marked Kinkaid’s first football championship loss since 2016.  

Safety Chris Stallings, a senior, said the football team “left it all out on the field.” It was one of the hardest matchups he has seen his whole football career at Kinkaid, he said. 

Sophomore Cam Henry, slot receiver, had a 95-yard kickoff return in the second quarter that sparked spirit in the stands. Also in the second quarter, senior quarterback Jackson Griggs threw a touchdown pass to receiver Victor Garza, who is also a senior. Toward the end of the second quarter, senior cornerback Mathew Bale intercepted an Episcopal pass.

Garza scored the final touchdown for Kinkaid in the third quarter before Episcopal used its momentum and pushed ahead. 

St. John’s may be Kinkaid’s historic rival, but in recent years, the rivalry between Kinkaid and Episcopal has intensified. 

When it comes to football, fans seem to expect a win against rival St. John’s — after winning against the Mavs each year since 2012 — but uncertainty surrounds Kinkaid’s games against Episcopal.