The Student News Site of The Kinkaid School

The Falcon

The Falcon

The Falcon

Follow us on Twitter!

Sophomore shines on and off basketball court

Jack Susman
Sophomore Jack Susman in his JL3 Elite jersey during a recent game.

Jack Susman, a sophomore student-athlete, has made significant progress in athletics and academics during his short time as an underclassman. 

As a key player on the varsity basketball team, Susman has set a high standard for his peers on and off the court and has noted great transformation in his journey to becoming a leader. 

“Leadership is something I think I was naturally born to do, but I still can make improvements since it is a skill,” he said.

After making the varsity basketball team as a freshman and working hard over the off-season, Susman earned a starting role in his sophomore year. 

Susman said he was grateful that he put in the hours of practice even if it was grueling because of the impact it had  on his progress.

“They were just learning years for me, the help I have had to grow as a leader and teammate is significant,” Susman said. “But I am really just getting started.”

Looking ahead, Susman has high hopes for the basketball program. 

“I think we have a really good shot at winning SPC next year,” he said,

Outside of the school program, Susman plays Amateur Athletic Union  basketball with club team JL3 Elite, where he is having an impressive season, averaging 11.3 points and 9.1 assists per game in his season so far. 

His involvement with AAU basketball not only develops his skillset but also strengthens team bonds. Ethan Williams, All-SPC award winner and fellow sophomore, is also a part of JL3 Elite. 

Playing AAU with Ethan has really helped me deepen my connection with him,” Susman said.

His leadership and involvement with the community extends to the Kinkaid Welcomes Refugees Club, where he is a co-founder and current president. 

The club works to aid refugees and hosts organized donation drives for school supplies. 

“I’ve been interested in refugee awareness for a while now. My family has made many donations to various charities throughout the past five years or so,” he said.