The Student News Site of The Kinkaid School

The Falcon

The Falcon

The Falcon

Follow us on Twitter!

JV football achieves undefeated season

David Shutts
Without a single loss this season, JV football has set a new record.

Coach Bobby Eggleston knows a thing or two about winning football games.

Known as Coach Egg to his players and fellow coaches, Egg coaches the junior varsity football team.

High school football is taken very seriously in Texas, and Kinkaid is no exception to that. At the varsity level, Kinkaid has seen plenty of success on the football field, and as of recent, an exceptional amount at the junior varsity level as well.

The JV team secured a 14-0 win over the St. John’s School’s JV football team on Thursday, capping off an incredible 9-0-1 season, extending the unbeaten streak to 31-0-2 over the course of the past three years.

“It’s great to be a part of two straight undefeated JV football teams, and it’s great to actually help the team win close games,” said sophomore wide receiver Peter Liuzzi. “I feel like the strict practices from Monday through Wednesday is really the reason why we’re so good on Thursdays.”

With a small group of sophomores in the football program, the JV team was filled mostly with freshmen, who had no experience with high school football. The team said this wasn’t an issue.

“It was a fun experience to play high school football for the first time and cool to see everyone develop on the offensive and defensive sides of the ball,” said freshman starting quarterback Ross Wynne. “It would have been devastating to let the three-year undefeated streak die, which thankfully did not happen.”

The team knew about the streak all the way back in preseason, but the players were encouraged to take it game by game. Whether it was 100 degrees outside or 30, the Falcons showed up with heads held high, practicing and playing their best football. 

“It’s all about preparation every week to be ahead of our competition and allow us to dominate the field every Thursday, as every battle is won before it is fought,” said sophomore Carlton Walton.

View Comments (1)