Freshmen and sophomores mosey on down to rodeo party

Read Liuzzi, Staff Writer

Ninth- and 10th-grade students gathered in the Ogilvie Lobby and outside on the Falcon Green for a rodeo-themed party on Saturday, Feb. 5. 

Inside the Oglivie Lobby, there were several casino tables, with games including craps, roulette, Texas Hold-em, and blackjack. Students could play games to get more raffle tickets used in five drawings for several highly sought-after items including a 32-inch Roku TV, won by sophomore Pierce Markowitz, and an Xbox gift card, won by sophomore Camille Pyne.

“It was a fun time, and I had lots of fun winning big at the casino,” said freshman Gus Griggs. 

There were bingo games going on all night, and the DJ was very popular, especially after students engaged in a dance contest to the song “Right Foot Creep” by NBA Youngboy, while performing the popular dance move, the Griddy.

Upon entering the lobby, students were given a raffle ticket to enter to win one of many prizes, such as an Apple Watch, a television, AirPods, and gift cards.

In terms of food, there were plenty of Honey-Butter Chicken Biscuits from Whataburger to go around, and there was a churro stand as well. 

Outside, the petting zoo was a crowd favorite; the zoo contained a llama, a sheep, baby goats, a burro, a duck, a bunny and a piglet. Students were allowed to feed the animals and hold them. 

There were also several armadillo races throughout the night, where three students would pick an armadillo and then race them in a pen. 

“I enjoyed being able to race the armadillo and beat my friends in the race,” said George Kugle, a 10-grader and victor of one of the armadillo races. 

Also outside, there was a photo-op with two live longhorns.

The party was organized by the event host committee, a collection of ninth- and 10th-graders.