Varsity basketball demolishes Knights in home game face-off

Ethan Jett, Staff Writer

In a matter of seconds, the court was filled with students decked out in white to celebrate a victory.

The varsity boys basketball team beat rival Episcopal Knights 62-61 in a home game on Jan. 28 that many thought would be a blowout win for Episcopal. 

Coming into the game, the Falcons had a record of 1-3 in SPC play and were on track not to make the SPC tournament. Facing the Knights’ nationally ranked team filled with Division-1 prospects, the result of the game seemed obviously in favor of the Knights. 

Hundreds of fans filled the Melcher Gym anticipating a show. Excited to see the game, students from both schools came dressed in their school’s theme. The student section for Kinkaid was dressed in white, while Episcopal fans were decked out in ski gear. 

Right from the tip-off, it was apparent it would be a close game. The teams went back and forth, both going on runs. 

“The atmosphere in the Melcher Gym was phenomenal,” junior Elliot Crantz said. As the teams went back and forth, the student sections for both teams were getting more and more into the game. 

Standout Falcon players included freshman Jack Paris, freshman Eian Lowe, senior Ben Shaper and senior Kamsi Ndee. 

Kinkaid led 29-23 going into the third quarter and was on the verge of a huge upset. Once the third quarter began the momentum shifted in Episcopal’s favor.

Going into the fourth quarter it was a close game, but senior Kamsi Ndee’s interior defense combined with Jack Paris and Ben Shaper’s point-scoring ability helped lead the Falcons to a 62-61 win.