Celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month

Angela Wainright

Students in intermediate dance performing to a Pitbull song.

Madison Burba, Staff Writer

Spanish music played over the speakers as students excitedly sampled Latin American candies, cookies, empanadas and Jarritos soda. 

In recognition of Hispanic Heritage Month, which lasts from Sept. 15 to Oct. 15, the Viva La Raza Club organized its annual celebration full of music, food and fun. 

To plan for the event, Fiesta en la Biblioteca, club members, and faculty of Hispanic heritage brought food and beverage items they wanted to share with the Kinkaid community. 

Mrs. Norma Villañueva-Pears, dean and member of the Latin community, brought elote, also known as Mexican street corn.

“My heritage is both my ancestry and my culture,” Mrs. Villanueva-Pears said. “My heritage honors my family who has come before me and their heroic efforts to survive despite poverty, war and separation. Separate but equal is my culture. It is the food I eat, music I listen to and traditions I practice.” 

Viva La Raza faculty sponsor, Mrs. Angela Wainright, emphasized the importance of Hispanic Heritage Month and celebrating her heritage.

Being Mexican American is something I am very proud of, and I love that I live in a city that has a rich Latino presence,” she said. “I would like to personally recognize all of the Latino Kinkaid families, faculty, and staff who make Kinkaid a wonderful place to be. I know for a fact I am blessed to know these people and they all have so much to share with the community.”

Viva La Raza Club also held an assembly to celebrate Hispanic Heritage on Oct. 5. 

At the assembly, senior Sammy Riesgo-Zamudio spoke about various types of Hispanic dance forms including salsa, flamenco, tango and bachata. Students provided demonstrations of each. 

Members of the Kinkaid facilities crew demonstrated La Danza de Los Viejitos (the Dance of the Old Men), dressed in ponchos, loose pants and elaborate masks. 

To close out the assembly, students in intermediate dance performed a dance incorporating all the styles introduced at the assembly. Each dancer held a flag representing a different Hispanic country.

The facilities crew demonstrate the Danza de Los Viejitos at assembly. (Angela Wainright)