Students celebrate Rosh Hashanah on campus

Cami Culbertson

Juniors Jack Denechaud and Charlie Schmidt chat while enjoying traditional snacks.

Cami Culbertson, Staff Writer

The shofar sounded as students gathered outside of the Commons to celebrate Rosh Hashanah with treats such as honey apples. 

Rosh Hashanah marks the Jewish New Year and celebrates the sweetness that is to come. This year, Rosh Hashanah was celebrated starting at sundown of Sunday, Sept. 25, but in the days following the holiday, Mrs. Leslie Lovett and some members of the Jewish heritage affinity group presented a Rosh Hashanah Celebration.

Jewish students and teachers worked alongside Chef Mark Harris to prepare foods typically eaten for Rosh Hashanah for the school community.

Students enjoyed small cups with apples and honey, a food commonly consumed in celebration of Rosh Hashanah.

“Traditionally apples and honey symbolize sweetness,” history teacher and Jewish heritage affinity group co-sponsor Ms. Lovett said.“It’s sort of like you wishing yourself a sweet new year.” 

Beside the apples and honey was round challah bread. Jewish people eat challah on Rosh Hashanah because the year is seen as round in the Jewish faith and it looks similar to a crown to be given to their God.

As students enjoyed Jewish foods while chatting, some participants took turns blowing the shofar, an instrument typically made of ram’s horn and used in Jewish religious practices. During Rosh Hashanah, the shofar is used to wish a good year and repent for the community’s sins. 

Kinkaid as a community has been making an effort to educate students more on religions and cultures besides their own. Before the celebration, many non-Jewish students were unaware of the foods and traditions of Rosh Hashanah. 

“Before joining the celebration on Tuesday, I was uneducated about the Jewish religion and holidays,” said sophomore Alex Torres-Holloway.  

Students expressed enthusiasm about being exposed to the culture of Jewish holidays.

“This was such fun,” said junior Eshaan Mani. “I look forward to more such events in the future from the Jewish heritage affinity group.”