Goodbye, Mr. Obama

Dear President Obama,

At eight years old, stuffed into a horrid polka dot dress and donning messy cornrows adorned with beads at the ends, my crush began with you in a crowded Dallas conference room. At that time, I didn’t know much about your policies or your aptitude as our president, but I knew your skin resembled mine, something I had never seen in a presidential candidate. Unaware of the magnitude of the moment, I saw you from across the room, standing tall and proud. As soon as your signature, stuttering voice ceased booming, your speech finished, my dad quickly prepared me to meet you.

Like a scene out of Exodus, you parted the sea of wealthy donors and rambling press just to greet me and my father. You, the Democratic nominee, walked towards me, and looked at me like I was the most important person in the room. When you approached my dad, smiling that wide toothy smile, my heart melted.

“Hey, Pastor,” you warmly greeted him, and there I was beaming, my face frozen in a bold grin. In a moment I believe was “Love at First Sight”, we locked eyes for an instant. You embraced me in a side hug and after you promised me I could meet your daughters, who I’m obsessed with to this day. Immediately after we posed for a candid. A photo I have hanging in my room today, with a duplicate hanging in a hallway leading up the staircase. My prized possession. One I proudly have posted on my Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. Also, you probably don’t remember, but you laughed at something I said (see picture). No big deal.

Even now, at 16 years old, without cornrows, excess fat and a bit more opinionated, I am just as awestruck by you as I was in that hope-filled ballroom eight years ago. Except now, you’ve given me so much more to be proud of than just the color of your skin. Not only am I proud of your history-breaking wins, I am proud of your resiliency and career as President.

Your strong family values while being president have shown America a positive black family image, for which I thank you. Your dedication to being a great father while balancing the country’s well being is outstanding. All the times you shared personal stories about raising your daughters resonated with me because it felt like my relationship with my own dad. When you would tell heartfelt stories about your girls in front of the whole world, I was reminded of how my dad tells stories of me in front of our entire church.

With “My Brother’s Keeper”, an initiative you started to invest time and money into minorities in order help destroy discrimination and build their futures, you have strengthened my trust in the state of black boys in America. I know that my president cares about my two black brothers and is truly interested in whether they succeed.

When the shooting of Trayvon Martin occurred, I grieved for their unjust deaths, grieved for their families left with no son because of one’s prejudice. What comforted me during this time of sadness was you; your personal monologue that you delivered in front of the whole world. “Trayvon Martin could have been me,” you said with tears in your eyes, “There are very few African-American men in this country who have not had the experience of being followed when they are shopping at a department store. And that includes me.” You emphasized with not only me, who experienced that with my brothers in our local grocery store, but the millions of people hurting across the country.

The way you embraced me that day in Dallas and have connected with me these eight years in office have changed my life forever.

Goodbye,

Your biggest fan,

Nia Caldwell

11 thoughts on “Goodbye, Mr. Obama”

1. Lucinda says:

I quite like reading through an article that will make people
    think. Also, thank you for permitting me to comment!

2. Will says:

Its like you read my thoughts! You appear to grasp a lot approximately this,
    such as you wrote the ebook in it or something. I feel
    that you just could do with a few percent to drive the message house a bit, but instead
    of that, this is excellent blog. A fantastic read.
    I’ll definitely be back.

3. irena owens says:

Irena says you are the most personable, warm, humbled president and she is 92…She is wishing God blessings for the future and asking for you not to forget those that you have served so faithfully, the seniors, prayers and grace and mercy, be with you and your family …

4. Deborah says:

What a phenomenal article!! I am so proud of you.

5. Mildred Ratliff says:

President Obama thank you for carrying this country on your back for eight years showing the entire world the moral and values of the job Commander and Chief. Your love and undying dedication that you have shown for the United States of America will be written in stone! Now that your term has come to the end my pray for you and your family is that God will continue to shower you all with his unconditional love and many blessings. God bless you and God bless America!

Mildred Ratliff/Missouri City, Texaa

6. Shirley says:

Wow! Nia, you are an inspiration to our youth. Keep up the great work. Sure to see you at the top of whatever you desire to do.
    Truly impressive.

7. Gerard says:

Great Article

8. Roslyn Banks says:

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and how his actions influenced your life. Many young adults have it within their grasp to make a difference in their lives and communities. Don’t wait for permission to start!

9. J D Harrison sr. says:

Mr President. You have been an inspiration to future generations of young people ,who aspire to be great role models. May GOD bless you and your family in all your endeavors.

10. Ava Longs says:

I’m so proud of you, Nia Caldwell. I have watched you grow into a beautiful, intellectual, and brilliant young lady. I ran across your article, and was quite thrilled as I read through it. Keep shining kingdom builder!!

11. Trade Bitcoin says:

Hello there! I could have sworn I’ve visited this
    website before but after browsing through a few of the articles I realized it’s new to me.
    Anyways, I’m definitely happy I stumbled upon it and I’ll be book-marking it and checking
    back frequently!